A salad is a great way to get your vegetables and protein while eating light. The only thing that you need to remember is that it should have a variety of vegetables, protein and sources carbohydrates.
Lettuce is one of the most popular salad greens, and for good reason. It’s low in calories, high in vitamins A and C and protein, makes your teeth whiter (if you’re into that sort of thing), helps prevent cancer, lowers blood pressure—the list goes on. But when it comes to lettuce salad recipes like this one I’ve put together here at How Does She Cook? we like to keep things simple!
So if you’re looking for something new or different from your old standby salads then try this recipe out today!
Tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C, which contributes to the maintenance of healthy bones and teeth. They also contain lycopene, an antioxidant that may help prevent heart disease and some forms of cancer.
Tomatoes are high in potassium and fiber.
Avocado is a superfood that can be used in many recipes. Here are some ways to use avocado:
- As an ingredient in salads
- As a base for dips and spreads (like guacamole)
- In smoothies or juices
Grilled chicken breast
Grilled chicken breast is a good source of protein, iron and selenium. It also contains B6.
- Use a cucumber that is firm and unblemished.
- Slice the cucumber into thin slices.
- Add salt to the cucumber and let it sit for 30 minutes before serving, or place in an airtight container for up to 3 days (if you plan on storing it longer than that, use a plastic bag).
Rinse with cold water, pat dry, and serve!
Corn is a good source of folate, magnesium and fiber. It’s also a good source of calcium and vitamin C. You can cook corn on the cob in several ways:
- Boil for 10 minutes or less (cooking time varies depending on how long you’ve been boiling it). This makes for an easy side dish that doesn’t require much prep.
- Grill for about 5 minutes per side until charred in spots (also varies depending on how long you’ve been grilling). The charred bits add crunch to your meal!
- Microwave for up to 10 minutes at 500 watts (again, cooking time varies based on wattage). If you’re feeling extra fancy this way, use parchment paper between each layer of kernels; they won’t stick together as much as they would otherwise when boiled/grilled/cooked in general!
Hard boiled egg
Hard boiled eggs are a great source of protein, vitamins and minerals. They’re also easy to make.
You can serve hard boiled eggs with your salad or eat them on their own when you feel like something healthy for lunch.
Green onions are a great addition to salads, and they’re also known as scallions. They have a milder taste than other varieties of onion and are packed full of vitamins and minerals. The bright green leaves add a lovely color to your salad, while their pungent smell will make you want more! Green onions are one of the most versatile vegetables you can use in cooking—they’re ideal for stir-fries, braises or even sauteing. If you grow them yourself at home then consider making green onion pickles!
Black beans are a good source of protein, which makes them a staple in salads and other dishes. They can be used in nachos, tacos and on top of salads. If you’re looking for black bean recipes that use the whole bean instead of just canned beans, check out our recipe section!
Black beans come in two varieties: dried or canned. Dried black beans are often sold as refried beans (or “refritos”), which means they’ve been soaked overnight before being cooked; however, many people prefer using fresh-cooked dried ones so that they have more flavor than what you’d get from canned ones.
Canned varieties tend to be cheaper because they’re processed quickly after harvest—so if your budget isn’t too tight but still want high quality ingredients then consider investing in some extra cash since this will help ensure better results overall!
Chickpeas are a good source of protein and fiber, which can help you feel full for longer. They’re also high in folate, which is important for pregnant women. Folates help prevent neural tube defects in babies during pregnancy—a condition that can result in serious brain damage or death.
Chickpeas also contain magnesium, an essential mineral that helps keep bones strong and protects against osteoporosis later in life.
A salad should have a variety of vegetables, protein and sources carbohydrates.
- Vegetables are a great way to add nutrients and fiber to your diet.
- Protein helps build muscle, which is essential for growth and repair.
- Carbs provide energy that allows you to work out harder or longer, which means more calories burned over time! The more variety you have in your salads, the better it will be for your body!
A salad is the perfect way to enjoy your fruits and vegetables. You can use them to add flavor and nutrition to any dish.
I hope this article has helped you in making a salad for dinner tonight!